Friday, June 19, 2009

Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream Cupcakes

My girls love cupcakes. What little princess doesn't? I have a fabulous allergyhead chocolate cupcake that I created, unfortunately BellyButton "no like it". So, until I figure out a white cupcake (probably next week, stay posted) I decided to do a batch of Ice Cream Cupcakes - inspired by Coldstone Creamery.

Vegan Strawberry Ice Cream
1 cup frozen strawberries, slightly defrosted and roughly chopped.
1 cup coconut milk
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs rum
3 tbs organic sugar
2 pinches stevia
Blend it all up in a Magic Bullet, add
1/2 cup diced strawberries.
Pour into a ice cream maker (I use Cuisinart) and freeze. When its ready portion into 6-8 silicone cupcake liners (my fabulous mother got them for me for Christmas). The ice cream should go all the way to the top. Freeze until hard. This is the only vegan ice cream I've made that doesn't freeze into a solid block. I'm not exactly sure, but the only new ingredient I used was the olive oil.

In the meantime, you want to make some coconut whipped cream. Take two cans of coconut milk and refridge them until the cream is hard. Scoop out the cream and use the 'water' for a different use. Freeze the mixer bowl and beaters until very cold. Add the coconut cream and beat until it is as stiff as you can get it. Put it back in the freezer for 15 mintues and then whip it again. Continue this until the cream is stiff enough to use. It took me a while. . . I added a pinch of stevia at some point. Then I put it in a plastic bag, cut off the corner, and piped it onto the cupcakes. Beware, it get soft QUICKLY, so you have to work fast. Unfortunately after the cupcakes were in the freezer for the afternoon the 'whipped cream' was rock hard and did not soften when I let them sit out on the counter for a bit. Next time I think I will add a bit of something to keep it soft, maybe rum? (yes, I realize I am feeding my young children food w/ rum in it, I can think of much worse things to feed them, such as HFCS).

Anyways, the little princesses highly approved :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment