Sunday, June 28, 2009

Banana Bread Muffins

These (finally) turned out w/ a perfect texture and crumb. They were not real sweet, so if you'd like them sweet, I'd recommend an additional 1/3 cup sugar.

Banana Bread Muffins
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup millet flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup + 2 T tapioca starch
1 tsp xanthan
dash salt
1 1/2 tsp corn-free baking powder (http://www.authenticfoods.com/recipes/bakingpowder.htm)
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp stevia
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup applesauce
3 bananas, mashed
1/3 cup water

Mix the dry and wet ingredients seperately. Add wet to dry and mix vigorously for 1 minute to 'activate' the xanthan. Portion into 12 cupcakes. Bake at 350degrees for approximately 20 minutes (they don't brown on the top, so you'll have to toothpick test, I would try at 15 minutes). These got soggy when I left them in the pan, so I'd remove them and place on a cooling rack.


I realize there are 12 dry ingredients in this recipe. I'm sure you really don't need that many kinds of flour, I just kept adding a little bit of this and that, hoping for muffin nirvana. If you try it w/ a different combo, let me know how it goes. :-)

Yes, I realize xanthan is a corn derivitive, but I haven't had a lot of luck w/ guar gum and have decided that we will risk the small amount of allergen that xanthan introduces (unless of course Bellybutton starts reacting to it).

No comments:

Post a Comment