Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Vegan GF Breadstick

I got a recipe online somewhere for a yummy breadstick a while back. It was yum and fast, a good combo. Unfortunately, it included powdered egg whites, milk, parmesan, and cornstarch. Hence, a need for alterations to fit our new allergyhead lifestyle. For once it turned out good on the first try, quite a good feeling!

Breadsticks
1 tsp yeast
1/2 c warm non-dairy milk (I used almond, it was the only milk I had)
3/4 tsp honey or agave
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup almond flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1 tsp arrowroot starch
1 T nutritional yeast (for a cheesey flavor, it worked well for this recipe!)
1 tsp hemp protein powder
1 tsp gelatin
1/2 tsp xanthan (I did use xanthan, I'll try it next time w/ guar gum)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp italian spices

Proof the yeast, milk, and sugar until the yeast is poofy. Meanwhile mix together all the dry ingredients. Mix all the liquid ingredients together, pour into the dry and stir a minute to activate the xanthan. Pour about 1/2 tsp oil into a small plastic baggie, squish it around to coat the inside of the baggie. scoop the batter into the baggie, snip a corner, and pipe breadstix onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. They should be smallish (about 1 inch wide, 1/2 inch high, as long as you like) I made about 8 six-inch breadsticks. Bake @ 425 for approx 10 minutes. They won't really brown on top, but the underside will.

Unfortunately, the GF Vegan English Muffins I spent 1 1/2 hours on this morning were not impressive, although my ever patient (and pretty hungry) family still ate them. They were very dense and gummy. I'm sure I'll try it again. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment